Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Friday 13 March 2009

Sea Kayaking Isle of Man - More Tidal Race Action.

There should be a grading system for tidal races. If there was then yesterday's would have ranked pretty high! When there's allot of "white" with breakers and "streaking" of most of the waves, it is big. And so it was with a bit of caution that Jess and I entered the Sound yesterday.
An exhausting couple of hours of exhilaration followed. Near the end I got wiped out by an enormous breaker which hit me side on. I've never been inside a working washing machine but I should imagine what followed would not be dissimilar. I spun for what seemed like 20 or 30 seconds. Everything was white and I had no idea where the surface was. Eventually the rotation stopped but still all I could see were masses of white bubbles. I guessed where the surface might be and pushed my paddle as far upwards as I could reach. Hauling down I flicked my hips and miraculously righted myself only to be hit by another huge breaker. This time my brace worked and I paddled on. I think that the lower most photograph is me shortly after I emerged, judging by the wetness of my hair.
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: