Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Monday 5 January 2009

Sea Kayaking Isle of Man - 53 minutes and 20 seconds part 2.

I wasn't planning to post another blog entry so soon but it would seem a few facts need to be cleared up. Yesterday, Ian and myself posted a time we clocked up for circumnavigating the Calf of Man by kayak of 53 minutes and 20 seconds. Earlier last week Steve Watt of Manx Paddle Sports, posted his new personal best time of 54 minutes and 40 seconds. It would seem that we started our paddles from a slightly different point to Steve . Steve says "The start, as pointed out to me many years ago, is with your stern in line with the ladder/concrete steps in the small launching bay east of the cafe. (no need to have a timer on the shore) the finish is when your bow crosses the same line. I have timed myself 5 times from this point." Ian and I started and finished at the small race below the Cafe, where a line drawn from the white cross below the car park to the "pepper pot" intersects this narrow channel! I think it would be fare to say that Steve feels very strongly that this may have made all the difference and that our times are not comparable.
(lower two photos by Ian Smith)
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: