Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Sunday 7 October 2007

Indian Summer 2.

The unexpectedly warm and sunny weather continued as the group met at Port Erin for a paddle to the Calf. There was an exceptional turnout today with 16 sea kayaks lined up and ready to go.


Briefly, Port Erin Bay was chaotic with seemingly kayakers everywhere! Already overheating in our dry suites, rolls and other wet trickery spontaneously erupted as we all struggled to stay cool.


On reaching the Calf Sound further wet work continued. Although I have no problems completing a simple re-entry and roll, I have previously struggled to re-entry and roll and include replacing my spray deck whilst inverted underwater!!! The Coach says it's about mind over matter and telling yourself that you're not really about to pass out with hypoxia. In reality the key to this is to use a preformed neoprene spray deck as opposed to the floppy aquatherm ones the rest of us have been using. Unfortunately I can't re-entry and roll and replace my spray deck underwater whilst taking a photograph and so you'll have to take my word for it.

No comments: