Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Saturday 1 August 2009

Kayak Isle of Man - Outer Hebrides.

I arrived in Stornoway, the Western Isles, on Thursday. It took over a day to get here with an overnight stay in Ullapool. One of the problems with living on one island, and going to work on another, is that there will be at least two ferry rides. From the Isle of Man I used the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. The four and a half hour trip cost me over £300 with the car. In contrast, from Ullapool to Stornoway I used Caledonian MacBrayne. This two and a half hour trip with the car cost a little over £80! Not surprisingly, Ullapool and the Western Isles are buzzing with tourists from every corner of the World. This is great for the local economy but not necessarily for me. I am up here working and the surge in population can only mean that my job as Consultant Anaesthetist is likely to be somewhat more busy than might have otherwise been the case. Still, after this initial 4 day stint of on call I will be off on Tuesday, at which point the 3 piece Rockpool will be assembled ready for it's first Hebridean trip.
www.KAYAK.im

1 comment:

The Black Spot said...

I love Scotland... hate the midges, but love Scotland..