Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Friday 5 June 2009

Isle of Man Kayaking - Chasing the waves.

Chicken Rock is a scary place. At the same time I love it out there. Our usual play spots lay dormant and so Jess and I paddled on to the Chicken Rock Lighthouse. Looking at the photos above you can see why this place is so dangerous to the unwary. In the first picture Jess and I paddle through the blue, flat, sun drenched sea off the Calf of Man, on an idyllic Summers day. As we always do, a couple of practice roles are required. In the time it takes for me to submerge and re-emerge from the sea, a respectable tidal race appears. If you look carefully in the second photograph you can just about see the upper part of Jess on the horizon, which helps to put the wave size into perspective. But this was no friendly playful race. I chased promising surf spots from point to point. As soon as I cornered some nice looking surf waves they would vanish, only to reappear 50 or 100 metres away. If I did manage to chase them down, once aligned they would change direction, and break over me from the side forcing a hard fought high brace. We gave up and battled the ferocious currents and further races to reach the calm, peaceful tranquility of the Sound, which is our usual tidal race surf spot!
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: