Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Thursday 11 June 2009

Isle of Man Kayaking - Too much race.

Jess and I headed for the Sound again today. It was huge with massive breaking rollers rampaging in from the west, propelled forward by the force 5 winds. We timed it perfectly to hit the race at full flood, and it was. Concerned by what I saw I beached my boat and climbed the rocks to survey the race. For the first time I can remember we thought better of it. It's difficult to capture in the photos above but every wave was breaking and dumping. There really was nothing to surf. We could only hope to survive not play, and even that was in doubt. If a rescue had been necessary it would have been risky for both parties as 17 foot kayaks would be tossed around by the enormous 20 foot waves. Normally this race has a beginning and an end but not today as we watched it disappear off to Ireland. We decided to disappear off to Port Erin for ice cream.
The top most photo is of the Manx equivalent of an Inter City 125 as I was held up on my journey to our paddling venue.
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: