Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Saturday 20 June 2009

Isle of Man Kayaking - Hostage.

The thing about holidays is that the more elaborate they are, the more worry is involved. I also think it is inevitable there will be crises! We've already had our first and we haven't even set off yet! However, my kayak has and in fact it left the Isle of Man 5 days ago.
The 3 piece Rockpool Alaw Bach is currently in Oslo, Norway. It shouldn't be though! The boat should be about 1000 miles north, above the Arctic Circle, in Tromso. Yesterday, Norwegian customs decided that in order to allow the kayak to progress any further, I would have to pay £680! You can imagine the flurry of emails which resulted from the various carriers involved. It has to be said that one carrier in the UK (not TNT) completely washed their hands of the problem, and this combined with poor customer service, means I won't be using them again. In the end I made a phone call through to TNT Norway, and discovered that customs had relented and released my kayak. I'm hoping we will get it in Tromso on Tuesday, only a few days late. I'm also hoping it remains intact. By the end of this year not only will the boat have explored Northern Norway, but it has trips to Orkney and the Outer Hebrides to survive.
www.KAYAK.im/

No comments: