Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Sunday 14 December 2008

Sea Kayaking Isle of Man - Gnarly.

It was a memorable weekend in the Calf Sound Tidal Races for myself, Ian and Jess. Saturday saw spring tides with little wind making the race playful. It lured us into taking ever greater risks and we all rolled in anger. Sunday was much more gnarly. Shark fin waves appeared and disappeared at will. None ran parallel and they seemed to conspire together to trap us. The video below gives you some idea. Watch how violently my boat is pushed sideways as I'm hit by a breaking wave near the end of the clip! (You can view a magnified version of this video here.)


www.KAYAK.im

2 comments:

Danny said...

Hi John ,

You lot are brave soul's !
I paddled through the sound with Jess and Ian & co in July in calm conditions and I was talking to Jess and nearly got caught out !
Looks great fun .
Maybe I will get a bash at it next July when I return to the I.O.M.
for a bit of R&R

Merry Christmas to you all.

Regards , Danny Northern Ireland.

Douglas Wilcox said...

Hello John, what brilliant photos!

We got a view of the Isle of Man from the Mull of Galloway on Monday. There were springs and a fair bit of wind so the tide race was meaty. Unfortunately it was too rough for me to take photos!

Douglas :o)