Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Monday 8 December 2008

Kayaking Isle of Man - Olympus.


The weekend was devoid of photographs, not kayaking. Ian, Jess and I paddled from Port Erin to circumnavigate the Calf of Man via the infamous Chicken Rock Lighthouse. The lack of photographs was a result of another camera death last week. So far this year I have drowned a Pentax Optio waterproof camera, a Pentax K1OD (my fault, it never pretended to be waterproof), and a Sanyo Xacti waterproof video camera. Do these cameras have an inevitable and built in limited lifespan? Maybe I just expose them week in, week out to an overly extreme Irish Sea? My latest hopes lie with the Olympus 1030 SW. It certainly looks the part with it's thick metal casing, sturdy screw fixings and automatic metal lens protector. Olympus claim that it is waterproof down to 10 metres and that should be enough even for my most extreme paddling maneuvers. It can withstand a drop from 2 metres and I suspect I'll be testing that out soon. Finally it can tolerate being sat upon by even the most sturdy of your friends, with 100 kgs worth of crush resistance! So why put my faith in this particular camera? Well I already have an Olympus E3 SLR camera which is one of a very, very few splash proof digital SLR cameras. But more importantly Olympus dominate the invasive medical diagnostics market. They manufacture a variety of flexible, fibre optic medical telescopes which are passed by doctors such as myself, into unmentionable body cavities and fluids. After that they are sterilized in some of the most noxious liquid chemicals known to man! I am hoping that some of the decades of "waterproofing" expertise gained by Olympus Medical Equipment is now being utilised in their latest waterproof cameras.
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: