Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Tuesday 25 March 2008

Kayaking Isle of Man - 3 piece Update!


I've been asked quite often recently "where is my new carbon 3 piece kayak from Rockpool?" I wondered that myself and so I gave Mike Webb of Rockpool Kayaks a call this morning. Mike answered the phone and quickly said that he'd been attempting to build an all carbon 3 piece Alaw Bach for me but was having real problems. He sounded exasperated and I felt slightly guilty for ever asking him in the first place. He does have a business to run after all without people like me asking for work intensive, one off non standard boats - my words not his. He was fine. I think he was just fed up that he hadn't succeeded. He said that he just could not get the carbon to wrap around the fittings. I don't completely understand all that myself but when a fibre glass craftsman like Webby tells me it can't be done then I believe him. Instead we've compromised. It's going to be part carbon and part fibre glass. He'll start it Friday and I hope to have it in 3 weeks time. I've begged for some construction photographs in the mean time, and if I get them I'll post them. He did finish up by saying he's never going to build another one so don't even think about phoning up and asking for one! www.KAYAK.im

No comments: