Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Saturday 28 June 2008

Kayaking Isle of Man - Tofino Surf.



Despite a few hitches my Rockpool Alaw Bach made it all the way from the Isle of Man to Vancouver Island unscathed. The hotel we have near Tofino is on one of the best surfing beaches in the area. Huge waves role in uninterrupted from thousands of miles away in the Pacific Ocean. Suddenly their long wave lengths shorten as they hit the shallow beach and we end up with some pretty spectacular surf. This is great for me and the copious surf boarders; other kayakers seem to opt for the calmer waters of the nearby Clayoquot Sound. I can understand this as trying to paddle out through these 2 metre dumpers is like being slapped in the face by a couple of wet mackerel! Once out there though the surf is amazing, far cleaner, more consistent and reliable than what I've come across at home on the Isle of Man. Still, tomorrow I'm off to the "Sound" to do a little exploring myself.
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: