Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Thursday 11 February 2010

Sea Kayaking Isle of Man - Loch Skeen.

I'm working away in Scotland again. The hospital I'm based at is disturbingly far from the sea. That means no kayaking for a few weeks. It's probably just as well that I'm away. Work has begun on the new wing of my house which will ultimately incorporate a games room, gymnasium and wet room. All that means that 5 kayaks had to be squeezed into my living room and kitchen. I like kayaks but not enough to sit inside one and watch TV. So being in Scotland is probably for the best, especially when you can walk up to places like the frozen Loch Skeen shown above. I didn't quite dare to venture out onto the ice but it looked solid enough. I came across this walk unexpectedly and I wasn't equipped with a camera. The photos above were taken with an iPhone! The camera on the iPhone comes in for a lot of criticism but I don't think these came out too badly. I do think that the right camera makes a difference. The tidal race pictures which feature on this blog so regularly are taken with a little water proof Pentax Optio W60 . They usually come out reasonably well, all be it with a lot digital retuning. I was recently sent some stunning photographs of Ian, Jess and myself paddling in the races taken from an elevated position using a high quality digital SLR camera. I hope to feature them on the site in the next few weeks.
www.KAYAK.im

2 comments:

Wild Dakshina said...

Hi there!

Loved looking at your blog and photos! I'm searching for info about kayaking between Scotland and Ireland, and Isle and Calf of Man in between... I'm an avid kayaker and kayak guide here in Hawaii, used to do the same in Alaska, but going home to Europe and am hoping for the same challenges there... would you be interested in sharing your experiences of kayaking between those places?
Thanks in advance for reading, and thanks for the fun blogging!

John said...

Thanks for your kind comments. Be sure to get in touch if you find yourself kayaking in or around the Isle of Man and I'll try to advise you on the best spots to paddle, John