Mainly kayaking photographs taken on the Isle of Man and beyond.


Wednesday 16 September 2009

Kayaking Isle of Man - Work.

A little over 4 months ago I gave up my job as a Consultant Anaesthetist at the Nobles Hospital, Isle of Man. Subsequently I set up my own company and I started hiring myself out as a freelance Consultant Anaesthetist. I'm contacted by a hospital or an agency and offered a job. If I like the offer then off I go. I am a bit picky about which jobs I'll do and where I'm willing to work. But so far there has been no shortage of work. Indeed, I've had to turn rather a lot of work down due to prior commitments. It pays well, in fact, I now earn more than I did when I had a full time job. I'm not tied to an organisation and I'm completely my own boss. If I don't like a particular place or hospital, I simply don't have to go back again. I get as much time off as I like and I'm about to enjoy 3 to 4 weeks on the Isle of Man before thinking about taking another job. Best of all though I enjoy the variety. I've just returned from Orkney. The hospital in Kirkwall is tiny and anyone majorly ill needs need to be flown off to the big hospital in Aberdeen with an accompanying doctor. During my 10 days in Orkney I transferred two patients in this way. For the first patient we used an RAF Sea King helicopter, and for the second we used the Scottish Air Ambulance's Eurocopter, which is based in Inverness. The photographs above were taken from inside the Eurocopter.
I think what I'm really trying to say is that there are many people out there doing jobs which make them deeply unhappy. I was one and I've been contacted by many others via this blog. What has become clear to me is that although you may feel trapped you probably are not. There are likely to be options open to you to change and improve your circumstances and frankly no job is worth suffering for.
3 to 4 weeks off means lots of paddling and so hopefully this blog will soon return to it's more usual topic of kayaking.
www.KAYAK.im

No comments: